Tuesday, March 20, 2007

the short stack continues

Last night, my winning streak continued.
I didn't get to play until pretty late (10PM). I decided to sit down and work on my book. I started around 7:30 and was thinking I'd stop around 9 to play a game. However, I lost track of time and once I found a good break point, I looked at the clock and it was 10 already.

So I fired up my 'Stars account and played a $30 sng tournament.

I was slowly accumulating chips but once again, I lost a good sized pot against a desperate player, I suppose. I had AK suited and raised it 3 times the BB which was $300. Someone went all in with KJ suited which raised it back to me for a total of $600+. Of course, I had to call. The guy made a J on the turn I was suddenly the short stack.

So, once again I had to nurse a short stack with about $500+ as the blinds were at $50/$100. So I picked my spots to go all in. I targeted the average stacks to steal blinds when I could. A good thing was this table wasn't too aggressive. It wasn't like each hand had a raiser, preventing me to make my move.

So after a bunch of stealing, I creeped my way up to about $900. After stealing a few more blinds, I was up to about $1500 with the blinds at $100/$200. I was finally able to raise a normal amount without committing the rest of my chips. I raised it up to $600 when I woke up with pocket 7s. The next guy went all in with pocket 6s. I called to see I was way ahead. I had this guy covered and eliminated him. I was now in very good position with over $3000 in chips.

Now ppl were afraid of me. I have only shown down great hands and won. They also know I wasn't afraid to go all in several times as the short stack. So I picked a few good spots to steal blinds 4 handed. Being on the bubble with a rather passive table made stealing relatively easy.

Once I made it into the money, I was the dominant chip leader. However, I lost that lead after losing two coin flips. Luckily, I was down to less than $1000 when the 2nd place guy went all in and lost. I defaulted to second place and simply did not have enough chips to scare with all-ins.

Another Cinderella story...

No comments: